A coincidence or just mere luck?

Yesterday afternoon, while driving home from Staples, I was stopped by a policeman in a nearby street. I was not really sure myself if I was at fault, but I was stopped by the officer because he claimed I was driving beyond the driving speed limit on that route, which was 35 MPH. The officer said that I was driving at 55 miles per hour. On second thought, however, I was thinking that the officer's claim could not have been true because there was actually a car in front of me, so how could I have possibly driven so fast? On the other hand, I am not also denying that it may also have been possible that I was driving beyond the speed limit because I knew I was rushing to go home. Anyway, I am writing this experience not because I want to defend myself from what has transpired in this incident but I simply want to share with you the feeling that I had from the experience. And also, because there was something that happened before I was stopped by the policeman- that got me thinking up to now.

First of all, since I came to the US more than twelve years ago, this was only my second time to be stopped(or apprehended) by a policeman while driving in the highway. The first incident happened in the year 2000. A policeman stopped me because he claimed that I didn't slow down on a corner. But he was so gracious to let me go without giving me any ticket or citation whatsoever. This time, thank goodness, the policeman let me go again without giving me any citation or ticket. I must have been lucky, I said to myself afterwards. I remember the question he asked me? "What could possibly be the reason why you were driving at 55 MPH?" And I simply said, " I was rushing to go home, sir." Then he looked at me and said, "Next time, you need to slow down a bit," and he handed me back my license and registration. I thanked him for his graciousness.

Now, there is something I want to share with you prior to this incident. Before I got stopped by the policeman, I went out to the store to buy some personal stuff. In the store, i saw this beautiful, black hat, with a bold, white lettering on the front. The lettering reads: "POLICE." It caught my attention immediately and so I bought it. Now, those who know me know very well that i usually don't like to wear hats. If i do, only on occasion. But this time, I just felt an urgency to buy this magnificent hat. Now, how should one explain this? Was this a mere coincidence- that I bought a hat with a name "Police" ingraved on it, or just mere luck? This kept me thinking till now.

Oh well, whether it was a mere coincidence or just mere luck, who knows? The lesson is, I should better follow the traffic rules next time. Because, if I get stopped again next time, I may not be as lucky as now.

0 comments:

Powered by WebRing.