True Confession

It's been seven months since I was diagnosed with diabetes. Looking back in the course of these months, i could say with some sadness that my journey had been like a roller coaster. I have mentioned in my previous articles that before i went home for my summer vacation to the Philippines last June, I had been very strict and religious as far as following the doctor's prescription, dieting and doing exercise were concerned. After I came back from vacation, everything just changed quite dramatically. I know in my mind that I need to do this and do that...but, the truth is, I have been laxed and complacent as far as taking my medications and dieting were concerned. The only good thing is - I still go and exercise once in a while. For almost three weeks now, I have stopped taking shots from insulin, although i still take in the oral pill, Metformin, once in a while. I hardly check my blood glucose anymore - only on occasion. Dieting had been by far the most difficult thing to do. Now I just eat mostly everything I like, although with some moderation of course. Because I have not been following a meal plan whatsoever, I just found out that I have gained back another 10 pounds, the exact amount of weight I lost when I was following a strict plan. I know this is not good at all. I need to lose weight if I want to get well. I need to exercise more and follow a meal plan. Just imagine if I did not exercise at all, plus no diet? But, going to the gym was a blessing. I try to go to the gymn at least three times a week, for an hour exercise. It feels great.

Last thursday, I had my blood tests taken. I was kind of scared about the possible results. But, thanks God, the result came out quite favorable. My A1C has gone down to 6.8. Three months ago, my A1C was 7.3. My cholesterol has gone down too. My trigliceride is still quite high- above 400 from normal. So, I need to do something about this.

IF there is anything that I credit why I got a favorable result in my blood tests in spite of the fact that I have not been taking my medications religiously- i think it is because of exercise. And also, the vitamin supplements which I take in religiously also helped, I am sure.

Oh well, I need to go back and lost some weight. I cannot be sitting down in my office all day long and not exercising. But also, if I say that I need to start dieting again - i have to start it now.

0 comments:

Powered by WebRing.