Two Days of Respite

Last Thursday, May 1st, I visited a long time friend whom I haven’t seen for a while. It was such a nice opportunity for me to go away for awhile and have a nice respite for myself. My friend just arrived into this country more than two months ago. I was so delighted that we could be together again after more than ten years of not seeing each other. Well, except in a few, rare occasions that we met sometime in between. My friend and I are buddies since high school. We were classmates for more than fourteen years. In so many ways, we share the same vision and aspirations in life. Yes, indeed, it was a nice time to be together again with my friend and share some old memories together.

I stayed in my friend’s place for two days, Thursday and Friday. Another buddy who was with us in Rome joined us too. The three of us had a nice time sharing some laughter’s and funny experiences together. But more importantly, the quality time that we spent together, although limited, was indeed memorable.

Since I came to the US more than ten years ago, I haven’t had the luxury to find some respite for myself, except on some, rare occasions when I was home for my summer vacation. That is why, to be with the company of old friends was a rare commodity. In my own experience, life in this country is so much different from the way I was reared up in my own native land. First and foremost, I missed the company of old friends whom I used to hang with quite frequently. When I came into the country, I had to learn how to live by myself independently. I had no friends or acquaintances to depend on. I just had to trust my instinct and learn the law of survival of the fittest. Secondly, the routine of daily work can sometimes be sickening. Here in this country, you have to learn how to go along with the flow. Life here, they say, is always on the go. We are almost always in a rat race. Everyone is always busy with something. People hardly have time for themselves. They are always catching up with something. That is why, you hardly find people here who know how to relax and have a good time. I missed those times back home when I could sit down at the end of the day, sat in my rocking chair, and drink a cold bottle of beer. I missed those times when I could go around in the neighborhood, and just sit in the company of the men, who were just happy conversing with one another, relaxing after a day’s work in the farm. I missed those times when I could go home and my mom had always a hot meal ready for me. Oh, well, those were some good times and memories that I will never trade in with anything, even in exchange of any material luxury or comfort. That is why, seeing my old buddies after a long time, brought back memories of the old times.

I think it is important that in order for us to keep our sanity, we need to retreat once in a while, take some days off from the routine of daily grind, and find a place where we could be alone and find some respite. The demands of daily life can sometimes be overwhelming. That is why, we read so much in psychology about “having my own space,” or in spiritual language, “going for some retreats or recollections” to recollect and rejuvenate oneself. Man’s value is not simply equated with work. He is a social and spiritual being too.

Going away for two days was certainly rejuvenating for me. It was not just an opportunity to see and meet old friends, but it was also something I needed for myself. I promised myself to find some extra ‘space’ for myself like this once in a while. I know it is a luxury, but I think it is also good for my on-going treatment for my illness.

0 comments:

Powered by WebRing.