Home is Where My Heart Is

Every year since I came to the United States, I always made it a point to go back home to my native country, the Philippines, to visit family, friends and loved ones. As everyone knows, especially those who are working abroad and away from loved ones, to go back home and see one’s family is always a revitalizing experience. From my own experience I know for a fact that no matter how hard life is, no matter how difficult one’s journey may have been in life– going back home and be with one’s family gives you a sense of belongingness and affirmation, a sense of direction and purpose, a sense of “meaning,” if I may call it that way. There is so much truth to the saying of Frederick W. Robertson which says “Home is the one place in all this world where hearts are sure of each other. It is the place of confidence. It is the place where we tear off that mask of guarded and suspicious coldness which the world forces us to wear in self-defense, and where we pour out the unreserved communications of full and confiding hearts. It is the spot where expressions of tenderness gush out without any sensation of awkwardness and without any dread of ridicule.” Very much so, indeed! When we go out and begin to explore the world, we are pretty much on our own – facing our own battles, carrying our own burdens, crying on the shoulders of no one. We are forced to live in our own independent world, seeking our own dreams and purpose solely by ourselves. And some of us may have gone a long way seeking their own dreams; some may have settled at a lower pace along the way; and some may have just given up hope trying to make some sense of their lives. But no matter what our achievements maybe( or defeat!) – there is nothing compared to going back home and be with family, and feel accepted and affirmed no matter what our achievements (or defeats) may have been. No matter what happens to our lives, our family will always be there to love and support us.

I was in the Philippines for the whole month of June for my annual vacation. After a year long of work, I think I needed and deserved a break as every one else. “Break” or vacation is always good for the body as well as for the soul. As for me, it was a time to recharge myself, break off with the daily routine, and a time to examine myself again. Well, I can tell you that I really had a wonderful experience. I spent most of my time with my siblings. While in the Philippines, we traveled around and visited some known tourist places like Baguio, the summer capital of the country. Going back to Baguio was a reminiscing experience, considering that I finished my college in Baguio some years back. I visited my Alma Mater, which has not changed very much in its physical structure. I met some seminarians from my Diocese, where I had a chance to talk and share with them some experiences. It was truly a fun reunion of some sort and a reminiscing of experiences.

From Baguio we traveled back to Manila. I had my home base in Fairview. Every year I see a lot of changes going on in the city. There were malls newly erected, new highways were built and rerouted, new schools, business establishments rising everywhere. Well, I guess it’s a good sign. The Philippines is finally catching up with the needed improvements. On the other hand, despite my own optimism, I still observed about the current traffic mess in the city, the garbage files on the side roads, the crowding of vendors on the side streets, and others. You still see a number of children peddling on the streets, and the poor people living under bridges and slums. The Philippine government, I was told, had been trying its best to improve the life of the poor through various project programs. In fact, to improve the economy is one of the urgent goals of the current President. But as to how this is translated into action is something to be seen and validated.

From Manila we went to Tagaytay. It took us about two hours and a half ride from manila. In Tagaytay one can readily observe a change of scenery. The climate too is different here, a lot cooler than Manila. In Tagaytay we went up to this place called people’s park (the highest peak), where you can have a nice bird’s eyeview of the city, see Taal lake, and the surrounding towns of Batangas. In Tagaytay I enjoyed so much not only the beautiful scenery but also I enjoyed eating all these native fruits like sweet pineapple, avocadoes, banana, and others. Along the road going to Tagaytay, you will find vendors one after the other peddling and selling all kinds of fruits and farm products.

From Tagaytay we went down to Matabungkay beach, a well known beach in Lian, Batangas. We stayed at Coral Beach Club owned by a British couple, I was told. Among the many resorts there, I found this place quite decent and secure. The resort was guarded twenty four hours so it was very safe. It has its own heated pool. The rooms were clean and classy. It has its own bar and restaurant. We really had a good time there. We stayed only for a night. The next day we went back to Manila.

As in the previous years, whenever I went back home, I did not just go and visit places, I also visited family and friends. In manila, we visited an uncle priest who is now retired. He is currently residing at Christo Rey in Christ the King Seminary in Quezon City. My uncle priest is an SVD missionary priest who spent all his life serving God and people. Before his retirement some years ago, he was the chaplain of the Pink Sisters (cloistered nuns) in Baguio City for a number of years. Before that, he was a priest chaplain of UP Los Banos, a parish priest in San Teodoro, Mindoro. During his younger years, he was the President of Divine Word College in Vigan. He is a very jolly and friendly priest. When we visited him, he told us of his current hobbies which are composing religious songs and learning how to play the guitar and violin. He is now 87 years old and yet he was able to learn and play the guitar and violin. I told him, “you are an amazing priest!” He just looked at me with a smile on his face.

I have also reconnected with a friend whom I haven’t seen in a long time. She is truly a wonderful person, with a generous heart. Her husband just passed away on June 6. He suffered from brain tumor. She herself, my friend, is battling some terminal sickness. Recently, her younger sister is facing the same fate. And yet, despite of everything, her faith is strong and her convictions are firm. I love to share with people her story because it is an amazing story of a beautiful soul. Too often we cannot understand why we suffer in this life, or why our love ones suffer terribly. And yet, there are some people like my friend (maybe not so many), who still hold on and believe on a good and loving God, despite of everything. What an incredible story of faith. Please pray for her and for her sister. I pray for all those who are in the same or similar situation.

I had some ambivalent feelings coming back to the US after my grand vacation in the Philippines. Once again, I had to say goodbye to my siblings, nephews and nieces. To say goodbye is always the most difficult thing. Yes, we promised to pray and call one another constantly. We said to one another that we hope to see each other again next year, God willing. But who of us can predict of tomorrow, or next year. Life is full of uncertainty. I hope that tomorrow and next year will come as we have dreamed. But between now and next year, we are left alone again to face our own battles. I just hope that the beautiful memories I have of yesterday with my family will give me strength, hope, and joy, as I tread on my journey for the future.

0 comments:

Powered by WebRing.